Being pregnant during the summer can be very uncomfortable. You are already hot and the temperature increasing makes it more unbearable to be outdoors. Having a safe pregnancy during the summer does not mean giving up all the fun summer stuff. Whether you are in your first trimester or last trimester of your pregnancy, these pregnancy safety summer tips are important to follow throughout your pregnancy. If you have any questions, make sure to run them by your doctor!
Tips to Pregnancy Safety During Summer
- Wear Sunscreen: We already know that wearing sunscreen can prevent premature aging and skin cancer, but during pregnancy it is especially important because excess sun exposure during pregnancy can increase the risk of chloasma.
- Stay Cool: Overheating can increase your risk heat exhaustion.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Dehydration isn’t good for anyone, but can be extremely dangerous during pregnancy. Dehydration during pregnancy can cause a shortage of amniotic fluid. It can also increase your risk of premature labor and reduce the amount of nutrients that your baby receives.
- Avoid Mosquitoes: Since it is not clear whether bug spray is safe for expectant mothers, avoid mosquitoes by staying inside during prime mosquito feeding time (dawn and dusk) or wearing lightweight clothing that covers your skin.
- Enjoy the Pool: Hanging out in the pool is the perfect way to help reduce swollen ankles and stay cool during pregnancy. It can also be a great way to exercise during pregnancy. Be sure to swim in a pool that has its chlorine levels carefully managed.
- Avoid Rare Meat: Barbecuing outdoors is definitely one of the best summer past-times, but just make sure you eat y yours well-done. No one should eat rare meat as it could cause food poisoning. When you’re trying to maintain a safe pregnancy, avoid rare meat.