I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
I recently discovered an amazing staple that has helped my baking move up a notch. Usually, my husband does not love my baking, but he fell in love with the Strawberry Shortcake that I made using P.A.N. Cornmeal. It has existed for many years, but is only recently making its way into kitchens in the USA. P.A.N. Cornmeal is the number one cornmeal in South America. Corn is native to the Americas, but due to its rich nutrients and versatility, cornmeal is a staple in countries all over the globe.
For a wide variety of recipes using P.A.N. Cornmeal, visit the P.A.N. Tumblr page.
Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
Strawberry Stuffing Ingredients
2 pints strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup P.A.N. Cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup to top of the cakes
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine kosher
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lemon, zested
1 orange, zested
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Homemade Whipped Cream Ingredients
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon sugar
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES
Strawberry Stuffing Instructions
1. Mash the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a bowl.
2. Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. You can leave it overnight.
3. While the strawberries are in the fridge, make the shortcakes.
PRO TIP: Place the stainless bowl and whisk in the freezer before you use it.
1. Whisk together P.A.N. Cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the heavy cream, lemon zest, and orange zest.
2. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, work the dough a few times to combine all of the cream and flour. Watch out, you don’t want to over mix.
3. Scoop out into 8 even pieces using a ice cream scooper. Roll into balls, dip one side of the ball into the melted butter, and then into the sugar. Place sugar side up on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
5. Prepare the cream while the shortcakes are baking. Cool on wire rack.
Whipped Cream Instructions
1. Place the cold cream in the cold bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment or stainless steel bowl. Whisk on medium until soft peaks are formed. Then, add the sugar and vanilla, whisk on low until firm. Place in the fridge, it will stay together for an hour or so. If you wait longer, you may need to whisk it by hand right before serving.
1. Cut the shortcake in half.
2. Place the bottom on a plate.
3. Add a scoop of the strawberry mix, then add a scoop of cream.
4. Place the top of the shortcake.
5. Add more strawberry mixture and cream on top.
PRO TIP: You can store the berries and shortcakes in an airtight container for up to three days, but the whipped cream must be fresh.