This post is sponsored by Everywhere Agency on behalf of Orkin. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Summer time hits early here, so we have been outside a whole lot lately. My ankles are proof of how much time I have been spending outside. Those darn mosquitoes love me and my family. I am doing everything in my power to protect my family and me from the crazy heat and these darn bugs! I don’t want to be scratching all summer long!
We have already started hosting pool play dates in our backyard and plan to host a birthday party for my daughter in a few weeks. I love adding all the fun umbrellas and outdoor furniture, but keeping the mosquito free is high on my priority list. No matter how pretty the backyard looks, it is no fun when you are swarmed by mosquitoes.
Orkin has started spraying yards specifically for mosquitoes. My backyard has been mosquito free since we decided to have the yard sprayed by Orkin! Now, we are eating dinner and dessert outside almost everyday, and my daughter’s swim lessons are completely bug free!
The Orkin man also gave me some awesome tips to keep the mosquitosmosquitoes away as well. Did you know that some species of mosquitoes can transmit diseases such as Zika virus, Chikungunya virus and West Nile virus. It’s important to take precaution to help prevent mosquito bites, especially in the summer months when mosquitoes are most active.
- When outdoors, always protect yourself from mosquito bites.
- Use EPA-registered mosquito repellents containing one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol or IR3535.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- In your yard, eliminate standing water where mosquitoes can breed.
- Remove standing water from gutters, buckets, toys and other containers
- Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants and any containers that hold standing water.
- Keep pool water treated and circulating.
- Around your home, eliminate mosquito entry points.
- Use air-conditioning when possible.
- Close gaps around windows and in walls.
- Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent entry.
If mosquitoes are ruining your summer fun, contact the licensed pest professionals at ORKIN.
Click here to request a free inspection.