Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. I love dressing up and pretending to be someone else for a day. Now that I have my own house, I am going to decorate for the Halloween inside and out. I am super excited for the trick-or-treaters that definitely come through our neighborhood. Stay tuned for some outdoor Halloween decorations! For now, try this awesome pumpkin pillow DIY!!!
Supplies & Tools
- 1 large fabric 1/2 yard in an orange pattern
- 1 fabric square in a different complementary fabric, I used an orange and brown chevron pattern
- orange thread
- sewing machine
- sewing needle
- leopard pattern ribbon
- pillow stuffing
- large sheet of paper (used a piece from a large sketch book)
- Cut Out Pattern. I used a large sketch book to draw free hand a rectangle with rounded sides. I first drew a rectangle 17″ x 10 1/4″, then I drew a rectangle inside that first one that is 12″ x 10 1/4, giving 2 1/2″ on each side to make round the edge. Don’t worry about making them match at this point. After cutting the pattern out, fold it in fours and shave of the unmatched parts so that the pillow will be symmetrical.
- Use the pattern to cut out 2 pieces of the first orange fabric. Once the pieces are cut out, face the right side outward. Fold the pattern in half twice and shave off the unmatched parts again.
- Using a sewing machine, sew the 2 pieces together wrong side facing out, leave 3″ opening on the top middle of the pillow.
- Using a ruler, measure 2 pieces of 4″ x 4″ fabrics from the fabric square in complementary fabric/chevron.
- Using a sewing machine, sew the complimentary fabric together wrong side facing out on 3 sides going in 1/2 inch on each side.
- Flip both pieces right side out. Using a sewing machine, sew the complementary /chevron piece to one side of the the hole in the orange fabric with pattern sides facing each other.
- Stuff both pieces of fabric with pillow stuffing.
- Use needle and tread to sew the pillow closed.
This pillow makes an awesome lumbar pillow! If you take the top off, you can make a very cool pillow that you can use all year!
Let me know if you have any question about this Pumpkin Pillow DIY!
Happy Crafting and Happy Halloween!