Make some rich and velvety cupcakes that remind you of everything you love about cupcakes. These homemade chocolate turtle cupcakes are decadent and feature a surprising secret ingredient.
How to Make Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes
These homemade cupcakes are so rich and chocolatey. When I have a chocolate craving, I reach for these. They are a true treat.
You know why I love baking everything homemade so much?
Because when I put time and care into what I’m making, I feel pride when I share them. With every stir, I am looking forward to the smiles I’ll get when they bite into the cupcakes.
For me, baking is how I share my love.
But I also love making cupcakes homemade because I can control how rich or sweet it is. I think I found the exact perfect balance of sugar and chocolate in my chocolate turtle cupcakes.
Everyone here loves them! You have to make them and let me know what you think!
Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes Shopping List
I made both the cupcakes and the frosting from scratch. They are completely homemade. If you want to make them too, here is what you will need from the store.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Ghirardelli Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Caramel Topping
- Hot Fudge Topping
- Finely Chopped Pecans
What is A Turtle Cupcake?
The term “turtle cake” or “turtle cupcake” refers to a rich chocolate cake with caramel and pecans. I love cakes that are not dry, that fill my mouth with a delicate fudgy texture. These turtle cupcakes are actually inspired by Turtle Candy. Turtle Chocolate Candy is the sweet treat that started it all. The original TURTLES® Caramel Nut Clusters feature premium pecans and creamy caramel hiding beneath a decadent chocolate shell.
How to Make Homemade Frosting
Making homemade frosting might take a little longer than buying some at the store, but it tastes so much better. Plus, I think it is easier to pipe on cupcakes.
The basis of homemade frosting is powdered sugar, butter, and heavy whipping cream. From there, you can make any additions that you wish.
I use a standing mixer because it makes my job so much easier. Whip the frosting until peaks form. That’s basically it!
Homemade Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes Recipe
Here is a printable recipe card with the entire recipe. You’ll be a pro baker in no time at all. Don’t forget to pin the post so you can come back and make more turtle cupcakes later.
Homemade Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 Cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ½ stick unsalted butter room temp
- 2 Cup sugar
- ¾ Cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Creamer Salted Caramel Mocha
- ½ Cup oil
- 4 eggs room temp
- 1 Cup unsalted butter soft
- 4 Cups powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Caramel topping
- Hot Fudge topping
- Finely chopped pecans
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- -Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt stirring together. Set aside.
- -Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- -Mix in the oil. Stir to blend in.
- -Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition, then add in the vanilla.
- -Alternating add the flour mixture with the creamer; beating well.
- -Fill the lined cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- -Allow to cool in cupcake tin for 10 minutes.
- -Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then....
- - Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time.... mix well.
- -If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- -Drizzle the chocolate sauce on the cupcake then drizzle the caramel sauce next.
- -Sprinkle the finely chopped pecans.
More Dessert Recipes
If you enjoyed my homemade chocolate turtle cupcakes recipes, you’ll love these too.
3 thoughts on “Homemade Chocolate Turtle Cupcakes Recipe”
Goodness these look amazing and perfect for the holidays.