Indulge in the richest, creamiest, cupcakes you’ve ever made. If you love chocolate, you’ll adore this chocolate Oreo cupcake recipe.
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
Cupcakes are the perfect dessert. They are so fun to decorate. You can make them as fancy or as simple as you want. You can go all out and make characters out of cupcakes, design an entire cake out of them, and even create all sorts of unique flavor combinations.
These Oreo cupcakes will satisfy your chocolate cravings and they show off so well! They are absolutely breathtaking and stunning. And the best part? They are incredibly easy to make.
Everything – from the chocolate cake to the cream frosting and ganache – is completely homemade. If you haven’t ever made a cake from scratch, follow my instructions. I will take you through every step. By the end, you’ll have chocolate Oreo cupcakes that taste – and look – like they came from a high-dollar bakery!
How To Make Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
These cupcakes look difficult to make, but they are so easy. They are a perfect beginner level dessert. Scroll on down to the printable recipe card and see the entire recipe.
Oreo Cupcake Ingredients
Here’s what you need from the store before you make these epic cupcakes.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Mini chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate Oreos, 22 cut in half
- Semi-Sweet chocolate chips
Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes Instructions
Here’s a brief overview of how to make these dark chocolate Oreo cupcakes. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card. You need to preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1.) Whisk the dry ingredients together
The first step is to mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Then, add the sugar and brown sugar. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer on high speed.
2.) Add the wet ingredients
Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until it is combined.
3.) Pour into the cupcake liners and bake
Next, pour the batter into the cupcake liners and back them for about 22 minutes.
4.) Let them cool
This is a very important step. You must let them cool before frosting the cupcakes (or else you will melt the frosting). A wire rack will help them cool down faster.
5.) Make the frosting
While the chocolate cupcakes cool down, make the frosting. Cream the butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined and smooth and stiff peaks form.
6.) Use a piping bag
Put the buttercream frosting into a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes.
7.) Decorate with mini chocolate chips
Sprinkle mini chocolate chips around the base of the frosting.
8.) Make the chocolate ganache
In a small saucepan, pour the heavy whipping cream into it and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Then, pour the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl. After the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour it on top of the chocolate chips and allow to sit for one minute.
Whisk this mixture until smooth.
9.) Pipe the ganache onto the cupcakes
Scoop the ganache into a piping bag and cut the tip off. Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the cupcakes.
10.) Top with Oreos
Place the cut oreo’s into the top center of the frosting. Voila! You have some beautiful cupcakes!
Chocolate Oreo cupcakes
For the chocolate cupcakes
For the Chocolate frosting
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line your cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisk to combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter in the cupcake liners.
- Fill each one 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350°F for 22 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool
To make chocolate frosting:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa powder, powered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined and smooth and stiff peaks form
- Scoop frosting into piping bag
- Frost cooled cupcakes
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips around the base of the frosting
Chocolate ganache directions
- In a small saucepan, pour the heavy whipping cream into it and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Pour the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat
- Pour over chocolate chips and allow to sit for one minute
- whisk until smooth
- Scoop ganache into a piping bag and cut the tip off
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the cupcakes
- Place the cut oreo's into the top center of the frosting
More Oreo Dessert Recipes
As you continue baking with Oreos, try these next! The brownies are always popular at parties.