How do you make the perfect M&M Candy Cupcakes? I loved using a cake mix (with a secret ingredient) and my own homemade chocolate buttercream frosting. The result tastes as amazing as it looks.
How to Make M&M Candy Cupcakes
Cupcakes are my favorite dessert. They are perfectly portioned and it is so easy to create fun and new creations.
I’ve created a cupcake recipe from scratch before. While I love doing that when I have time, sometimes I just need a shortcut. So for this recipe, I used a box of chocolate cake mix.
But the secret ingredient that makes these cupcakes stand out is the sweet cream butter. Make sure that’s the one you use. It makes the cupcakes soft and sweet, with the perfect texture.
Of course, I had to use my homemade buttercream recipe. It pipes so well and tastes heavenly. Since these cupcakes are chocolate, I decided to go all the way and just make chocolate buttercream frosting.
If you are craving chocolate, make these. They are a chocolate-lover’s dream!
M&M Candy Cupcakes Shopping List
Before you make these chocolate cupcakes, here is what you will need from the store:
- Box of chocolate cake mix
- Whole milk
- Sweet cream butter
- 1 bag of mini M&Ms
- 1 bag regular M&Ms
- Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
There are lots of ways you can make these cupcakes that don’t involve making them double-chocolate. If you don’t like that much chocolate, or just aren’t the mood, here are some more M&M cupcake ideas you should try.
- White cake with caramel – Use a white cake mix. Then, instead of cocoa powder, drizzle some caramel sauce in with the buttercream. This is a delicate cupcake that tastes great with the M&Ms.
- Chocolate Caramel – Instead of chocolate buttercream, use caramel in a vanilla buttercream. It cuts down on the amount of chocolate.
- Gingerbread and vanilla buttercream – Use gingerbread cake mix with vanilla buttercream. This really tastes fantastic with the M&Ms.
- Chocolate Mint – Make a vanilla buttercream frosting but add a teaspoon of mint extract. The flavor will be surprisingly delicious.
M&M Candy Cupcakes Recipe
Here is a printable recipe card with my recipe. Don’t forget to pin this post to your food board. You’ll definitely want to make this again.
M&M Candy Cupcakes - Perfect Party Cupcakes
- For the Cupcakes1 box chocolate cake mix1 1/4 cup whole milk1/2 C sweet cream butter softened3 large eggs1 bag of mini M&Ms1/2 cup of M&Ms for cake mixFor the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:1/2 Cups cocoa powder3 Cups powdered sugar1/2 sweet cream butter soft2 TBSP heavy cream
- Cupcake Directions Preheat oven to 350 and place cupcake liners into cupcake pan.Combine all ingredients, including a half cup of M&Ms into a medium bowl and mix until combined and thick.Scoop 3/4 into the liners and bake for 21 minutes.Frosting Directions: In a stand mixer, mix the 1/2 cup sweet cream with the powdered sugar.Mix until sweet cream and powdered sugar look with small pebbles. Add heavy cream. Mix in the heavy cream until thoroughly blended.Test to see if the prepared frosting can stand while forming stiff peaks.If not mix in 1/2 C powdered sugar. Test again for stiff peaks. If not add 1/2 cup powdered sugar.Mix well.Fill a pastry bag with a large tip of your choice with frosting.Frost cupcakes and decorate with M&M's.
More Cupcake Recipes
If you enjoyed these homemade chocolate M&M cupcakes, you will love these cupcakes too.
2 thoughts on “M&M Candy Cupcakes – Perfect Party Cupcakes”