Not only do these mint chocolate cupcakes look incredible, but they taste even more amazing too. They are homemade chocolate cupcakes, topped with a fluffy, mint buttercream frosting. Everything is made from scratch!
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate is one of my favorite foods. And these cupcakes are so rich and spongy. When you use the sour cream and buttercream both, you have a cake that comes out everything but dry. These are not dry at all.
Then, on top of the heavenly chocolate cupcakes, you have light and fluffy buttercream infused with mint. When you eat them, you will have trouble stopping at just one. The entire experience fulfills every craving.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes Shopping List
Since these are made completely from scratch, you are going to need quite a few ingredients to make them. Here’s what you’ll need from the store before you make the cupcakes.
- Almond Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Sour Cream
- Heavy Cream
- Stevia in the Raw Sugar
- Peppermint Essential Oil or Peppermint Extract
- Green Food Coloring
- Forte Chocolate
Healthier Substitutions for Chocolate Cupcakes
I love cooking from scratch. When you make things homemade, you can control the ingredients and how much you use. For sweet treats like cupcakes, you are going to need to use sugars and oils. That part is unavoidable. But you can control the types of sugars and oils.
Here are a few ideas for healthier substitutions that you can make with your baking.
For sugars, you can choose to use Stevia or even a natural sugar like honey. In fact, Bigger Bolder Baking has a really helpful chart that you can reference. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar, so you end up using a lot less. Plus, it affects your blood sugar in a different way than granulated sugar. So that’s why so many people enjoy using it instead of sugar.
For fats and oils, I love using avocado oil instead of butter when I can. It has heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, Vitamin E, and antioxidants.
Homemade Mint Buttercream
My homemade mint buttercream is out of this world! You will want to make this for other recipes and top all your cakes with it. If you take out the peppermint essential oil or peppermint extract and green food coloring, you are left with the best buttercream frosting you’ve ever tasted.
If you want, you can even make your own, natural, green food coloring. My favorite recipe was found on Your Daily Vegan. It is basically green apple juice and kale juice.
Festive Times To Serve Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes are so cheery and bright! They bring happiness wherever you take them. So they are perfect for any celebration you might have. Their mint green tops make them extra perfect for:
- St. Patrick’s Day
Candy Topping Ideas
If you want to go a little extra on the cupcakes, you can even top them with a few candies. Here are some of my favorite mint chocolate cupcake toppings:
- Andes Mints
- Thin Mints
- Mint Hershey’s Kisses
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Here’s the recipe. Don’t forget to pin this so you can come back for it later. One bite and you’ll want to make another batch.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes Ingredients
How to Make Mint Chocolate Cupcakes?
How to Make Keto Frosting?
Keto Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Combine the 2 cups of stevia sugar, 1 cup of almond flour and 1/2 a cup coconut flours, six tablespoons of cocoa, 1 teaspoon of decaf coffee granules, two teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Set bowl aside.
- In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of sour cream, and 1/2 cup of melted butter.
- In a large stand-up mixer set to low add the milk mixture to all the dry ingredients.
- Mix till well combined.
- Next, add the 3 eggs and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into the cupcake tins and bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In a mixing bowl, add the one cup of butter, 5 cups of stevia powdered sugar and six tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Mix on low until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Turn the mixer on high and whip for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add 3 Drops of green food dye.
- Using a large piping bag add your star tip first.
- Place the frosting in the piping bag.
- Twist the top of the piping bag at the top to push the frosting now to the opening.
- Add a nice tall swirl of frosting to each cupcake.
- Garnish with Forte Chocolate