The past few months of eating Keto have been filled with lots of Keto Egg Drop Soup. It’s a simple way to get a low net carb meal into your daily routine with some delicious bone broth, Keto Vegetables, and eggs
KETO EGG DROP SOUP
To make this easy egg drop soup, all you have to do is start with a good bone broth over medium high heat in a medium size pot. You can make it in minutes and you will have a restaurant quality lunch! I make it all the time and just keep a ziplock bag of sliced mushrooms.
Egg Drop Soup Shopping List
- Keto Bone Broth
- Fresh Spinach
- Green Onions
- Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
There are a few vegetables that are ideal for the ketogenic diet. The best Keto vegetables are spinach, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Choosing these low net carbs veggies over others will help with the weight loss. These veggies are keto friendly as is the entire egg drop soup. Importantly, the low carb egg drop soup only has 2 net carbs per serving.
Almost all mushrooms have low net carbs. My favorite are the Crimini Italian mushrooms which are also low in net carbs. The button mushrooms that you see at most grocery stores are also low carb. Since Egg Drop soup is a traditional Asian dish, I looked into making it with Shiitake mushrooms, but it turns out they are actually pretty high in carbs. In short, not all mushrooms were created equal.
Also, if you are looking to save time, you can buy pre-sliced mushrooms,
What is Bone Broth?
Make this egg drop soup with nutrient rich chicken bone broth. Bone broth is made with the meat and bones of a chicken. This makes the more gelatinous and filled with the collagen from the bones. You can easily make chicken bone broth using a whole chicken by boiling in a stockpot or slow cooker for 8 hours or in the instant pot for 2 hours.
Keto Bone Broth
The bone broth that is best on Keto is the kind that is actually made with bones and in the fridge is actual a gelatin consistency. On the ingredients it will say made actual bones. Great choices are Bonafide Provisions and Kettle and Fire.
How to Make Egg Drop Soup?
First of all, in a medium pot over medium high heat, add the bone broth and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Bring the chicken broth to a boil.
In a small mixing bowl or cup, whisk two eggs together.
Once the bone broth is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer.
How to Get the Egg Mixture Consistency of Egg Drop Soup?
With the whisk, start the chicken broth soup moving in a circular motion.
Slowly start pouring the egg mixture into the broth as it’s moving in a circular motion in one direction.
Keep it moving for a minute after you add in the egg mixture.
Add the Keto Vegetables
Next, add in 1/2 cup of fresh spinach and thin sliced mushrooms.
Let simmer for another minute.
Finally, take the soup off the heat and ladle into bowls. Garnish with green onions.
Keto Egg Drop Soup
- In a medium pot, add 1 package of bone broth and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl or cup, whisk two eggs together.
- Once the bone broth is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer.
- With the whisk, start the soup moving in a circular motion.
- Slowly start pouring the egg into the broth as it’s moving in a circular motion in one directions. Keep it moving for a minute after you add in the eggs.
- Next, add in 1/2 cup of spinach and thin sliced mushrooms.
- Let simmer for another minute.
- Take the soup off the heat and ladle into bowls. Garnish with green onions.
More Keto Recipes
- Do you miss having something crisp in your life, this Keto flat bread pizza will satisfy your crispiness craving.
- Feeling like a treat? Try this Keto Friendly Hot Chocolate recipe.
- Fat Bombs help keep you on track – try this chocolate keto fat bomb recipe.
- These mint chocolate cupcakes are yummy and a must for Ketogenic dieters, try them in moderation.
- Try this amazing Keto-Friendly Spaghetti Squash Alfredo Recipe from the Fat Girl Hedoist. She lost 45 pounds on the Ketogenic Diet! It is encouraging to see friends have so much success with Keto!