Learn how to make an easy Shakshuka recipe that you’ll want to make every week. Shakshuka is poached eggs over tomato sauce and it is perfect for lunch or dinner.
My friend visited Israel and came back with this awesome recipe that she ate while she was there. Shakshuka is a way to poach eggs over tomato sauce. I love the dish because it is an easy and healthy way to eat eggs when you are getting bored with the traditional scrambled eggs and omelets.
How To Make Shakshuka
This is a really fun way to eat eggs that breaks out of the norm. So if you are tired of the same old fried eggs and toast routine, give this a try.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka originates from the Mediterranean and the Middle East regions. It is typically made by poaching eggs in a tomato sauce and spiced with cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg.
It is a staple of Tunisian, Libyan, Algerian, Moroccan, and Egyptian cuisines. It is traditionally served in a cast iron pan with bread to mop up the sauce. If you are trying to do low carbs, I would avoid bread.
Most recipes that I have seen, calls for making your own sauce. I decided to make it very simple by making it with pre-made sauce and hot sauce. I have found that my favorite choices of sauce are the pre-made Sausage and Peppers for meat eaters and Basil for Vegetarians.
How to Make Easy Shakshuka
My recipe is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here’s a quick overview for you so you are prepared to make it yourself. It’s so easy! Don’t forget to pin this post.
This is what you will need from the store before you begin making it.
- Non-Stick Spray
- 3 Eggs
- Jar of Tomato Sauce
- El Yucateco Hot Sauce
- Basil to Garnish
What is the best hot sauce for Shakshuka?
I bought the following sauces from Publix and they all worked fantastically!
- El Yucateca Red Habanero Sauce
- Green Habanero Sauce
- XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik
1. First, spray the pot with non-stick spray.
Next, pour in a jar of tomato sauce so that it covers the bottom of the pot with about an inch of sauce.
Then mix in El Yucateca Hot Sauce 1 teaspoon at a time until hot enough for you. I put in 4 teaspoons for medium heat.
Let the mixture simmer covered for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Crack the eggs into the sauce.
Crack the eggs into the mixture so that they lay on top of the sauce. Do NOT mix in.
6. Simmer it all.
Let eggs simmer on medium heat covered for 10 minutes. Check on the eggs as stove heat may vary. Wait until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.
Scoop out with a large spoon and serve in a bowl garnished with basil.
What to Serve with Shakshuka
I prefer to eat this as a lunch dish. You can serve some bread and butter with it. You can also serve it with pita bread.
The bread you choose should be excellent for dipping, so the crustier the better.
You should always warm this up when you eat it. While it can stay in your refrigerator when you are ready to eat it warm it up. It tastes best when it is steaming hot.
Hot Sauce Shakshuka Recipe
- 1 Spray Non-Stick Spray
- 3 Eggs
- 24 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- 3 Leaves Basil to Garnish
- First, spray the pot with non-stick spray.
- Next, pour in a jar of tomato sauce so that it covers the bottom of the pot with about an inch of sauce.
- Then mix in El Yucateca Hot Sauce 1 teaspoon at a time until hot enough for you. I put in 4 teaspoons for medium heat.
- Let the mixture simmer covered for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the mixture so that they lay on top of the sauce. Do NOT mix in.
- Let eggs simmer on medium heat covered for 10 minutes. Check on the eggs as stove heat may vary. Wait until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.
- Scoop out with a large spoon and serve in a bowl garnished with basil.
More Egg Recipes
Still looking for more creative ways to cook eggs? Here are some of my favorites.