With summer around the corner, I am focused on getting thin and staying hydrated. I figure that I can help my friends do the same by bringing this healthy low-calorie watermelon salad to pot luck gatherings.
Fresh Low-Calorie Salad
There is always a reason to eat a salad. Maybe you are trying to watch your calorie intake. Or maybe you just want to eat more fresh fruits and veggies.
Whatever your reason, my watermelon salad is the answer you were looking for. One bite tastes like summertime! It’s so hydrating and sweet without any extra sugar.
I added sprigs of fresh mint to the salad too. The fresh mint really enhances the natural sweetness of the watermelon.
And don’t forget the feta cheese! It has to be feta. It has just enough earthy flavors to round out the salad and balance it.
Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese & Mint
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp red vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 jalapeno juiced
- 1 cup light feta cheese
- 20 mint leaves
How to Make Watermelon Salad Recipe?
Mix together 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp red vinegar, and 1 tbsp lime juice until the salt is disolved. I put the mix in the microwave for 10 seconds to move it along.
Whisk together the vinegar mixture and 1/3 cup olive oil.
Juice fresh Jalapeno and whisk into vinegar mixture.
Slice the watermelon into small bite size pieces.
To sufficiently mix the salad together, layer the watermelon, vinegar mixture, feta cheese crumbles, and mint leaves at least twice in a large bowl.
What is the best dressing for a watermelon salad?
I used a tangy combination of vinegar, lime juice, and olive oil. I discovered that this created the most amazing flavors with the sweet watermelon and bright mint.
I wouldn’t use any creamy dressings. The cream won’t mix well with the fruit.
How to Store Watermelon Salad
You should store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will only last a few days though, so eat it up!
What Other Fruits Can You Add?
Try adding these fruits to the watermelon salad for a really colorful and healthy side dish.
When are Watermelons in Season?
Watermelons are typically in season from May to September. That’s why this is such a popular salad for summer parties like cookouts and BBQs.
What do you serve with Watermelon Salad?
Since this is a fabulous cookout salad, you can serve it with all your favorite meat or meatless main dishes.
I like to eat this with a savory steak or burger. Here are some of my favorite BBQ recipes:
- Soft Pretzel Bites – these are pretzels wrapped around mini hot dogs.
- Coconut Chicken Tenders – these are super crunchy with a summertime flavor
- Chicken Kabobs – these have a homemade Tzatziki sauce.
Watermelon Salad with Feta
- Mix together 1 tsp salt, 3 tbsp red vinegar, and 1 tbsp lime juice until the salt is disolved.
- Put the mix in the microwave for 10 seconds to move it along.
- Whisk together the vinegar mixture and 1/3 cup olive oil.
- Dice and seed fresh Jalapeno. Whisk the jalapeno into vinegar mixture.
- Slice the watermelon into small bite size pieces.
- To sufficiently mix the salad together, layer the watermelon, vinegar mixture, feta cheese crumbles, and mint leaves at least twice in a large bowl.
More Sides & Salads
Here are some more summer recipes that would be perfect if you brought them to a party:
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Veggies by Beauty and the Beets