After being on Keto for a while, you definitely miss food with crunch. This Low Carb Coleslaw Recipe is extremely creamy and crunchy!
If you are freaked about eating coleslaw on Keto and kinda grossed out by the soggy coleslaw from the grocery, have no fear, you will fall in love with this extremely easy to make Keto friendly coleslaw. It only has 3 ingredients besides salt and pepper. How easy is that?
More Keto Low Carb Recipes
If you love this gluten free Low Carb Coleslaw, here are some more Keto recipes to try on a low carb diet:
- Start your day off right with these yummy and low carb Italian eggs.
- As part of our meal plan for the week, we like to have a yummy fat bomb in the fridge for something sweet and to keep our macros in check.
- This Keto Cheeseburger Casserole Dish is the perfect way to eat your favorite without the carbs.
If you want to jump to recipe, just scroll to the bottom.
Is Coleslaw Keto?
This coleslaw recipe is Keto Friendly and can be included as part of low carb diet. You can eat homemade coleslaw on the Keto diet.
The main ingredient in this coleslaw is cabbage as with most coleslaw like KFC Coleslaw. One cup of cabbage only has 4 carbs and 2 net carbs because of the 2 grams of fiber.
Is KFC Coleslaw Keto Friendly?
We use cabbage as the base of this homemade coleslaw and skip the high carb veggies like carrots and the typical sugar that is added to sweeten up the side dish. For example, KFC coleslaw has a whopping 30 grams of carbs with 26 grams coming from sugar. Unless you know the recipe is sugar free, I would not eat coleslaw at restaurants.
Cabbage is packed with a ton of nutrients and much needed fiber. If you skip the sugar in coleslaw, cabbage can pack a seriously healthy punch with a ton of Vitamin K and Vitamin C. It also contain antioxidants and potassium! Who knew you could get potassium for something beside bananas?
The Keto coleslaw dressing for this recipe is made with Avocado Mayo and fresh lemon juice. Get our favorite Avocado Mayo here. Have you heard that avocados are high in fat, but healthy fat? Well, the healthy fat from the saying is monounsaturated fat.
Avocado mayo is lower in calories and has no saturated fat than normal mayo and I think it tastes better!
Low Carb Coleslaw Recipe
To make this coleslaw recipe, start by shredding green cabbage using a mandolin or a shredder. The best coleslaw that I ever ate was homemade and shredded on a mandolin. It changed my view on coleslaw for the better. I never liked it before.
Shredding your own cabbage makes a huge difference in this recipe! In my opinion, how the vegetables are cut makes a huge impact on the dish. The mandolin slices the cabbage into even pieces that are long and crunchy.
If you are too busy to slice your own cabbage (I get it!), skipping the shredding, and buy a fresh coleslaw mix instead. That bumps up the carbs a tiny bit, but it is really negligible. The fresher the cabbage in the bag, the better the coleslaw. Buy the bag the day you are going to need it.
Dry the cabbage with a salad spinner or paper towel. If you don’t have a salad spinner, like me, after you wash the cabbage, dry it with a paper towel or a kitchen towel. This makes a difference in the potency of the coleslaw dressing. Any remaining water on the cabbage will get mixed into the recipe.
Then, add the shredded cabbage to a large bowl. You need room to mix and the cabbage grows as you shred it.
Add avocado mayo and fresh lemon juice to a small bowl. I used this lemon press to squeeze the lemons so that I don’t accidentally get seeds into the cold slaw.
Mix with Salt and Pepper. Some people like to add ground celery seed to the spices. If you have it, feel free to add it. Making the coleslaw dressing in a small bowl first helps distribute it more evenly on the cabbage.
You can also use apple cider vinegar instead of fresh lemon. The slaw still tastes great either way, but I prefer fresh lemon to apple cider vinegar.
Add the coleslaw dressing to the cabbage until the cabbage is coated, but not drenched.
Finally, cover the Low Carb Coleslaw and put it the fridge for 20 minutes before serving. If you want it to be more like a salad, you don’t need to refrigerate the slaw.
Low Carb Coleslaw RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 Green Cabbage
- 1 Cup Avocado Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- To make this coleslaw recipe, start by shredding green cabbage using a mandolin or a shredder.
- Dry the cabbage with a salad spinner or paper towel.
- Then, take the shredded cabbage and add to a large bowl.
- Add avocado mayo and lemon juice to the bowl. Mix with Salt and Pepper until the cabbage is coated, but not drenched.
- Finally, cover the Low Carb Coleslaw and put it the fridge for 20 minutes before serving.
More Keto Side Dishes & Salads
- Green bean casserole is always a big hit as a side dish.
- This Buffalo Deep Fried Brussel Sprouts Recipe is a great Keto Side Dish choice.
- Check out Kelly’s Spicy Keto Coleslaw recipe here.
- Make these yummy Keto Chips to go with Low Carb Queso.
- These Keto deviled eggs are a great side dish or starter for an low carb eating guests.
- Your guests will also love these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms that are dairy free.
Love this Recipe? Leave 5 Stars
If you love this low carb coleslaw recipe, leave us 5 star reviews and pin it for later.