This Chicken Francese Recipe is by far my favorite Italian chicken dish. I actually discovered Francese style cooking it in the Florida Keys on top of a Hog Fish Snapper. This easy Chicken Francese is modified from that Fish Francese/Snapper Francese recipe. The taste blew me away and I have been ordering Chicken Francese ever since.
My favorite place to premade Chicken Francese is from a local market called Joseph’s Italian Market. I have been trying to crack the recipe for a while and this awesome Francese recipe is the fruit of my intensive study and testing. I know you will love it as much as I do! You might end up drinking the Francese sauce like I do.
- This Baked Chicken Milanese with Arugula & Almond Flour is the perfect meal to cook for spring evenings.
- Make this Parmesan Cauliflower Casserole Recipe or these Easy Roasted Veggies as side dishes for this Chicken Francaise recipe.
How do you spell Chicken Francese?
Chicken Francese is spelled both Chicken Francese and Chicken Francaise.
Ingredients for Chicken Francese
This Easy Chicken Francese recipe calls for Chicken Cutlets, unbleached flour, egg whites, fresh lemon, white wine, salted butter, low sodium chicken broth, Cooking spray, Krazy Mixed Up Salt, and fresh chopped parsley.
For example, Rachel Ray uses parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and paprika to make seasoned flour to coat her Chicken Francese.
You can use the recipe below to make a Snapper Francese recipe too. This method of cooking works extremely well with mild white fish like tilapia, hog fish snapper, grouper, filet, mahi mahi and snapper. You can even convert fish haters with this recipe. It worked for my husband!
Tools and Supplies to Make Easy Chicken Francese
For this easy Chicken Francese, I used a large skillet (this is my fave) with Kitchen Tongs to flip the chicken. You’ll also need a good Whisk to make the egg wash. The other items that I used to make the recipe were my Clear Mixing Bowls, these rainbow Knives, my favorite Lemon Squeezer. Here are the plates from Crate and Barrel that I used for this dish as well and the French pastry marble slab as the background. See what else we are loving in this Ultimate Kitchen Tool and Equipment Guide.
Please note: Occasionally, we use affiliate links on our site. This in no way affects our editorial decision-making. Feel free to make purchases through the links contained in this post. It costs you nothing extra to do so and we greatly appreciate it.
How to Make Chicken Francese?
First, I started by seasoning the chicken on both sides with the Krazy Mixed Up Salt. You can use salt and pepper, but I prefer the Krazy Mixed Up Salt.
Put 1/2 cup flour in a plate that you will use to lightly cover the chicken with flour. We want to keep this dish light.
Beat the egg whites in another bowl. You can use the carton of egg whites like I did or separate the egg white yourself. Here is an awesome egg separator that helps you get egg white without making a mess.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. The key to avoid burning the oil spray is to wait until the large skillet is hot to spray with cooking spray. You want to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet.
Dip the floured chicken in the whisked egg whites bowl and add to the hot frying pan a few at a time.
Saute the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side.
What is Francese Sauce?
Chicken Francese Sauce is a white wine lemon butter sauce that is made from a mixture of chicken broth or chicken stock, flour, juice from a lemon, white wine, lemon slices, salted butter, and fresh parsley simmered over medium heat for about 2 minutes so it reduces slightly and thickens.
How to Make Francese Sauce?
While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the 16 ounces low sodium chicken broth in the bowl with 1 tablespoon of flour.
Cut the Lemon into rounds.
Remove all the chicken from the pan, but don’t clean the large skillet. The chicken bits are part of what makes the chicken Francese sauce awesome.
To make the Chicken Francese Sauce, add chicken broth and flour mixture to the pan along with the juice from 1 lemon, 1/2 cup white wine, lemon round slices, 1 tablespoon butter, 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (or a handful) and simmer over medium heat for about 2 minutes so it reduces slightly and thickens.
What kind of wine do you use in Chicken Francese?
To make the white wine lemon butter sauce aka Chicken Francese Sauce you can use a crisps White Wine like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. Choose a white wine that you know an love to make your Francese sauce.
Check out How to Make Chicken Francese Video & print the recipe card
Easy Chicken Francese Recipe
- Season the chicken on both sides with the Krazy Mixed Up Salt or salt and pepper.
- Place the 1/2 cup flour in a plate.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, spray with cooking spray to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Lightly flour the chicken.
- Dip the floured chicken in the whisked egg whites bowl.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan a few at a time.
- Saute the chicken 2-3 minutes on each side.
- When the chicken is cooked, transfer onto a plate.
- Re-spray the pan again and repeat until all chicken has been cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the 16 ounces low sodium chicken broth in the bowl with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Remove all the chicken from the pan.
- Add chicken broth and flour mixture to the pan along with the juice from 1 lemon, 1 tbsp salted butter, 1/2 cup white wine, lemon slices, 3 tablespoons fresh parsley and simmer over medium heat for about 2 minutes so it reduces slightly and thickens.
- Turn off heat and add chicken bath to the pan to combine with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t Miss Great Dinner Recipes You’ll Love